Sunday, April 15, 2012

My Mother, Bila


Yesterday, my mother passed away, after a massive stroke on Friday. She was an artist, specializing in horses and memories from our family history in Europe. And of course she had painted plein air a lot. It was comforting for me to be at the convention, just sitting there, listening to artists like Scott Christensen and Clyde Aspevig, watching demos from Camille Przewodek to name a few. It was so fitting to experience the Russian painter as there is familiarity there. Our family had connections with Russia, being Germans in the Baltic States. My grandparents spoke Russian and both my grandfathers were honourary officers in the Tsar's army.
My mother had turned me onto oil after watercolour, saying that it would give me confidence. She was so happy that I started to paint, and it was with her spirit that I stayed at the convention. But I could not paint yesterday or this morning. I went out yesterday to absorb nature, the mountains. Today we are flying home.

4 comments:

Dawn Townshend said...

I will forever treasure the beautiful painting your Mom did for me of my four foals, she captured the true essence of each of their personalities... a truly gifted artist. Farewell dear Bila.

Marian Fortunati said...

I'm so sorry to hear this Marina... Losing a parent who shared so much of herself with you is so difficult.. But as you have said.. she gave you such gifts that you will have with you forever!

My thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

Geo said...

Work at keeping memories of her alive. I enjoyed meeting and talking with you and your husband. My thoughts are with you both.

Dawn Hartigan said...

Marina,
So sorry to hear about your Mom. It has been three weeks since my Dad passed and I finally pick up a paint brush today. Be patient with yourself. May your grief turn to peace.